Here you'll find out how to make a Mojito cocktail, including tips & tricks to get truly professional results.
The refreshingly minty-citrus flavours of Cuba's Mojito cocktail perfectly compliment white Rum & is wonderful on a hot summer's day. Highly popular, yet tricky to get right & often served too sweet - the key to a good Mojito is to use plenty of fresh Mint & Lime juice but not too much Sugar.
- Our Rating: 5
- Difficulty: Medium
- Character: Refreshing Sour Fizzy Sweet
- Occasions: On The Beach
- Preparation Time: 3 min
|Soda Water||fill to top|
Garnish with a sprig of Mint.
How to Make a Mojito
- Place the Mint, Sugar Syrup & Lime wedges into a highball glass & lightly muddle the ingredients together. The Lime wedges & Mint leaves should be bruised to release their juices & essential oils.
- Fill the glass with crushed ice, pour over the White Rum & stir.
- Top up with Soda Water & stir well from the bottom up.
- Garnish with a sprig of Mint & serve with a straw.
Tips & Tricks Making a Mojito
- Given that the Mojito is reliant on fresh Limes & Mint that are available in different sizes & flavour intensity, it is a cocktail that really rewards you if you tune the quantities to accommodate the ingredients you have available & most importantly, your own personal tastes.
- If you make a Mojito & find it too sweet, you could try adding Angostura bitters to cut down on the sweetness.
- Don't have any Limes to hand? Try using Lemons for a twist on the classic Mojito but note that you might need to add a little more Sugar Syrup or use a little less Lemon to balance out the extra sourness.
- If you're out of Sugar syrup, you can use half a teaspoon of fine caster Sugar instead. If using Sugar, you might like to add the White Rum & stir to dissolve the Sugar before adding the crushed Ice.
- Don't have crushed ice? Originally, Cuban bartenders mixed the drink using cubed ice, including mint stalks as well as leaves - try this for an equally tasty yet more rustic feel.
Items You Need to Make a Mojito
Stainless Steel Straws
Cocktail Recipes with Matching Ingredients:
- Ramos Gin Fizz 2 - Matches
- Espresso Martini 1 - Match
- Moscow Mule 1 - Match
- Whiskey Sour 1 - Match