White Russian Recipe
Here you'll find out how to make a White Russian cocktail, including tips & tricks to get truly professional results.
Synonymous as "The Dude's" chosen beverage in "The Big Lebowski", the White Russian cocktail was regarded as perhaps a boring cocktail but has proven very popular in recent years. We think it is an excellent after-dinner cocktail that can almost subsitute a dessert.
- Our Rating: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- Character: Creamy Indulgent
- Occasions: After Dinner
- Preparation Time: 3 min
White Russian Ingredients
How to Make a White Russian
- Combine the Vodka & Kahlua into an Old Fashioned glass filled with ice & stir.
- Float the fresh cream on top of the cocktail & serve with a stirrer.
Tips & Tricks Making a White Russian
- If you don't have cream you can try the Black Russian instead - just leave out the cream & add a teaspoon of lemon juice!
- Full-fat milk can be used in place of cream, although the mouth feel will be thinner & less indulgent.
- Tia Maria & Kahlua are common choices of coffee liqueur.
- Not so keen on coffee? Try white Creme de Cacao instead of a Coffee Liqueur for an indulgent chocolatey flavoured cocktail to make a "Russian" cocktail.
- For a festive feel in winter, try garnishing the cocktail with a little grated nutmeg or cinnamon.
- If you like almond flavours, try substituting part of the vodka with half a shot of Amaretto liqueur.
Fun Facts About the White Russian
- The white russian originated from vodka cocktails like the Russian, Black Russian & Barbara of the 1930-1940s.
- The Big Lebowski's "The Dude" is largely responsible for the resergence in the popularity of the white russian cocktail, having previously been regarded as a drink for people who don't really like booze.
- "The Dude" calls the White Russian cocktail a "Caucasian" & is seen mixing or requesting this cocktail throughout the film. At no point is he interested in the brand of Vodka, when there isn't a spoon he'll stir the cocktail with his finger, & if there isn't any milk or cream, he'll use powdered milk. We can't recommend using powdered milk.