Here you'll find out how to make a Negroni cocktail, including tips & tricks to get truly professional results.
The Negroni is a delightfully boozy, intensely bitter but syrupy cocktail for Campari lovers that will really wake-up your taste buds. Perfect as a simple pre-dinner aperitif cocktail served with salted crisps and olives to get your appetite going. An absolutely classic cocktail - perhaps for an acquired taste - that you will either love or hate.
- Our Rating: 5
- Difficulty: Easy
- Character: Aperitif Boozy Bitter Syrupy
- Occasions: Pre Dinner Holiday In Italy
- Preparation Time: 1 min
Garnish with a slice of Orange.
How to Make a Negroni
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice cubes.
- Stir ingredients briefly to mix, cool and dilute slightly.
- Strain the ingredients over an ice-filled old-fashioned glass and tuck in the slice of orange to garnish.
Tips & Tricks Making a Negroni
- Use a strong London Dry Gin (> 40 % ABV) so that the gin holds its own against the intense flavours of the Campari & Vermouth.
- The bitterness in the Negroni is reduced by serving the drink alongside a salted snack, such as salted-popcorn, crisps, nuts or olives.
- The Negroni can be made slightly sweeter by reducing the amount of Campari and/or using a thicker slice of Orange.
- If you like the Negroni flavours but find it too syrupy, you could stir it longer in ice to dilute, or even try adding sparkling wine to turn it into a more refreshing Negroni Fizz style cocktail.
Fun Facts About the Negroni
- The Negroni is said to have been invented in Italy by bartender Fosco Scarselli following a request by the Count Camillo Negroni for an Americano cocktail with an extra kick. Scarselli subsequently substituted the soda water in an Americano with Gin, and used an Orange instead of Lemon garnish.
- Ready-made mixes of the Negroni cocktail are available and have a surprisingly long history - going back to 1919 when the Negroni family established the Negroni Distillerie in Treviso, Italy.
Items You Need to Make a Negroni
Old Fashioned Glass
Cocktail Recipes with Matching Ingredients:
- Singapore Sling IBA 1 - Match
- Corpse Reviver #2 1 - Match
- Original Singapore Sling 1 - Match
- White Lady 1 - Match