Whiskey Sour Recipe
Here you'll find out how to make a Whiskey Sour cocktail, including tips & tricks to get truly professional results.
You can make a "sour" cocktail with any spirit, but today they're most commonly served with bourbon, rye or scotch whisky. The ratio between sweet & sour is a precarious balance in this cocktail making it tricky to nail perfectly. Our version of the whiskey sour errs a little more on the sour than in times gone by - an improvement in our eyes - but it pays to experiment a little with the Lemon & Syrup ratios to match your own tastes.
- Our Rating: 5
- Difficulty: Easy
- Character: Boozy Sour
- Occasions: Pre Dinner
- Preparation Time: 5 min
Whiskey Sour Ingredients
Garnish with a Maraschino Cherry & an Orange Slice.
How to Make a Whiskey Sour
- Combine all the ingredients in a shaker filled with ice & shake vigorously.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a Maraschino Cherry & an Orange Slice, & serve.
Tips & Tricks Making a Whiskey Sour
- If the ratio above is a little too sour, feel free to increase the amount of syrup up to about 1 shot (for a 0.75 shot of Lemon juice) - this will err on the sweet side os the sour cocktails.
- Bourbon is today's default choice of spirit in the Whiskey Sour, however, feel free to use Canadian or even Scotch Whisky to change the character of your sour cocktail.
- Sours are also typically made with Vodka or Rum. Vodka Sours will taste rather neutral, whereas Rum Sours will tend to be sweeter than Whiskey Sours.
- Some people like to add a squirt of fizzy water (soda) to their Whiskey Sours - being careful not to over dilute.
- The sugar syrup can be substituted with half a tea spoon of fine sugar.